Sunday, April 27, 2014

5 songs

I believe that a genre (movement) should be added to this class, the genre is called Hardcore. It is derived from punk rock music in the and has brought a huge movement that has been around for awhile and is only growing. A lot of hardcore bands are spreading the message of being Straight Edge, no alcohol, drugs, or tobacco. They created a scene that is very violent and emotional. This is a genre of music I listen to regularly and I watched a few documentaries on how hardcore was started. Straight Edge hardcore started in the 1980's on the East Coast in Washington DC and quickly expanded out to the west coast. I will post one of my favorite older hardcore band as 1 of 5 artists recommended for this class. Madball, they were one of the early Hardcore bands from New York in the late 1980's. While this band does not use technology a great deal in their music or videos the movement they belonged to was one that shouldn't go unnoticed. They are still around playing shows today, video below:
As far as an addition for the punk genre for this class I would probably add Blink 182, they really brought a lot to the punk rock community since their founding in 1992, the song I chose is Always, my favorite from the band. They did some cool things with the video editing in the music video. I also think this song is beautifully written.

An addition to the Dubstep genre should be Knife Party with their song Centipede below. This is a super cool video loaded with special effects. I am not a huge fan of Dubstep music but I have always been a fan of Knife Party since they released this song in 2012.

Addition to House music would be Phuture, they used a Roland TB-303 bass synthesizer to make their music and were one of the first Acid house groups to form. I chose them because I really enjoyed listening to "Acid Tracks" which is posted below. This music is generated completely through technology.
Another addition to the punk rock movement would be Misfits, a lot of their videos have cool effects and they are the creators of the horror punk sub-genre. Founded in 1977 they provided a very different type of punk rock and their appearance was pretty unique at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment